Tuesday, October 05, 2010

REVIEW: Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott

My name is Danielle. I'm eighteen. I've been stealing things for as long as I can remember.

Dani has been trained as a thief by the best—her mother. Together, they move from town to town, targeting wealthy homes and making a living by stealing antique silver. They never stay in one place long enough to make real connections, real friends—a real life.

In the beach town of Heaven, though, everything changes. For the first time, Dani starts to feel at home. She's making friends and has even met a guy. But these people can never know the real Dani—because of who she is. When it turns out that her new friend lives in the house they've targeted for their next job and the cute guy is a cop, Dani must question where her loyalties lie: with the life she's always known—or the one she's always wanted.

Oh, Elizabeth Scott, how much do I adore you? You write such sweet stories that make my heart happy. Strangely, even this story about serial burglars?!

That's right, Danielle and her mother have made stealing silver from rich people's houses their living. Danielle takes care of dogs and security systems and Mom goes for the good stuff. Both casing joints and doing research as they hop from one town to another. It's all Danielle's known. She's never been to school or a party, she doesn't have any friends and can't get too close to people. She's never had anything close to a normal life.

She's already dealing with a huge amount of guilt for what they've done, she's upset with her mother for some poor relationships choices that they've both made in the past and she's feeling a bit unwanted after her father abandoned her. Then Danielle and her mother end up in Heaven, a little town on the beach. There she starts to make friends and meets a cute guy. And she starts to imagine a life without stealing, without moving.

But can she steal silver from the only friend she's ever known? Can she disappoint her mother by not doing so? Can she be honest and start a relationship with a cop? Can she really go on any longer without following her own heart? I loved Danielle's struggle between doing the 'right' thing and her loyalty to her mother. This sense of abandonment that she feels after her father left was really heartbreaking and believable and something that I could relate with. I thought the relationship between Dani and Greg and was really sweet.

It's really a roller coaster of emotion with Stealing Heaven, thank god I love roller coasters! And I do love Elizabeth Scott. I'm on a mission to read all of her books now, because they seem to contain a little bit of magic.

8 comments:

  1. I've only read two of her books but they didn't strike me as muchas they did other people. Glad you love her though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love Elizabeth Scott novels and this is one of my favourites alongside Perfect You. And I agree that they contain a little bit of magic! Glad you enjoyed it and hope you love the others too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this one a while back but haven't managed to pick it up yet! Great review, I definitely can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie - I do love her, very much. I have Living Dead Girl to read next, and I've heard it's horrific to read :(

    I Want To Read That - YAY! Another Elizabeth Scott fan :) I hope I love the others too..

    Lucie - Ooh, this was very fun to read, I hope you get to it soon and enjoy it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I've never heard of this one before, but it sounds so differently wonderful, that I'm going to have to make a plan to get this! Lovely review. I'll be interested to find out if any of her other books are just as good as this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thebookfairyhaven -This is the third books of hers that I've read - the other two being Bloom and Something, Maybe. Both of which are really very sweet. But next on my list of Elizabeth Scott novels to read is Living Dead Girl, which is very different. And I'm worried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - your opening paragraph! Well I haven't read any Elizabeth Scott yet ( I know, I know!) but soon, soon I will! Great review, insightful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dwayne - you should definitely look out for some of her books :)

    ReplyDelete

HI! Thank you for leaving a comment, you've just become my new best friend :)