Tuesday, September 28, 2010

REVIEW: The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart

The Boyfriend List was a homework assignment for my mental health. Doctor Z, my shrink, told me to write down all the boyfriends, kind-of boyfriends, almost-boyfriends, rumoured boyfriends and wished-he-were boyfriends I've ever had. Plus, she recommended I take up knitting. In the same ten days I: lost my boyfriend (boy No. 13); lost my best friend; lost all my other friends; learned gory details about my now-ex boyfriend's sexual adventures; did something shockingly advanced with boy No 15; did something suspicious with boy No. 10; had an argument with boy No. 14; drank my first beer; got caught by my mom; lost a lacrosse game; failed a maths test; became a leper and became a famous slut. Enough to give anyone panic attacks, right? I was so overwhelmed by the horror of the whole debacle that I had to skip school for a day to read mystery novels, cry and eat spearmint jelly candies.

Wow. How have I not read this before now? I have such a crush on both E Lockhart AND Ruby Oliver now. I was absolutely thrilled and excited to learn that this is the first in a series all about Roo and her disastrous love life!

The Boyfriend List was such a surprise me to when I read it, the cover made it seem to me, that it was aimed at a sort of middle grade audience. I really wasn't expecting to LOVE it as much as I do. And I do love it so much.

After her boyfriend dumps her leads a series of bad events, Ruby Oliver is instructed to see a therapist. Roo's been under so much stress that she's been having panic attacks. She's asked to make a Boyfriend List and write down all the boys she's ever crushed on, went out with, rumoured to have gone out with, or kissed in order to get to the bottom of Roo's troubles. And at the same time as she's explaining this list to us and why all these boys are on it, we learn what exactly happened with her ex-boyfriend and the series of bad events that led to the panic attacks, and Ruby learns some important lessons about herself. And some of the boys on the list? Very swoon-worthy! How excited am I to have more Finn and Noel and all the others in the next books...

The Boyfriend List is funny and sweet and heartbreaking. It ranks pretty high up on my list of favourite YA books ever. Roo is such a great character with a wonderful voice! She's so believable and she snuck right into my heart. Where she will always have a home. Now excuse me, while I go read The Boy Book!

7 comments:

  1. How old is the main character and how many boyfriends has she had????LOL, it is OK, I had to reread the post and I realised a lot may have been rumoured boyfriends. Sounds like a fabulous YA book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sereis is so funny. I hope they hurry up and publish the third book over here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Boyfriend List! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :p. Ruby Oliver - hilarious. I hope you get to read the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe I haven't heard of this one. This looks like such a fab and funny read. Ha, and I'm very curious about those boys on the list now. I'll be adding this to my TBR pile that's for sure! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vivienne - Ha :) Yeah, it really is fantastic. Very funny.

    Sophie - I know! I've just read The Boy Book and I can't wait for more!

    Liz - Ruby Oliver is such a great character. I've read The Boy Book but not the other two, have you?!

    thebookfairyhaven - I hope you do read it and love it as much as I do. Ruby is hilarious! And, they've repackaged the books and gotten rid of the weird childish looking frog. If that sways your decision in any way..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pushing this one up the list of TBR:D
    Keris also raves about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Emma, what good news. I really, really loved this one!

    ReplyDelete

HI! Thank you for leaving a comment, you've just become my new best friend :)