Tuesday, June 29, 2010

REVIEW: Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Scarlett Martin has grown up in a most unusual way. Her family owns the Hopewell, a small hotel in the heart of New York City, and Scarlett lives there with her four siblings - Spencer, Lola, and Marlene.

When each of the Martins turns fifteen, they are expected to take over the care of a suite in the once elegant, now shabby Art Deco hotel. For Scarlett's fifteenth birthday, she gets both a room called the Empire Suite, and a permanent guest called Mrs. Amberson.

Scarlett doesn't quite know what to make of this C-list starlet, world traveler, and aspiring autobiographer who wants to take over her life. And when she meets Eric, an astonishingly gorgeous actor who has just moved to the city, her summer takes a second unexpected turn.

Before the summer is over, Scarlett will have to survive a whirlwind of thievery, Broadway glamour, romantic missteps, and theatrical deceptions. But in the city where anything can happen, she just might be able to pull it off.

Can I just start by saying how much I adored Suite Scarlett? And Maureen Johnson? Because I do. To both. Maureen Johnson is absolutely hilarious and if you don't follow her on Twitter, you really must do. And she's created something fabulous with Suite Scarlett. Wonderful characters who get up to some crazy adventures.

How much would I love to live in this wonderful little Art Deco hotel in New York City? With my big wacky family and even crazier guests like Mrs Amberson? And fall in love with cute Texan boys and get involved with theatre shows and Broadway. If I could, I would so live in Maureen Johnson's brain. Just roll with whatever comes my way in there. I think I'd be fantastic. Reading this book, I smiled, laughed, cried, and laughed again.

My favourite part? The relationship between Scarlett and her brother Spencer. I -loved- Spencer. I love the whole Hamlet with unicycles and all of his physical comedy. He's charming and sweet and absolutely hilarious. In fact, the whole Martin family dynamic was absolutely fascinating to read about.

Also, reading the book made me really want to visit New York City again - but only if I can find the Hopewell.

Highly recommended for me and I cannot wait to get my hands on the sequel, Scarlett Fever!

1 comment:

  1. La la la *covers eyes* still have on TBR shelf so skimming review :D Glad you enjoyed it so much :D

    ReplyDelete

HI! Thank you for leaving a comment, you've just become my new best friend :)