Thursday, May 06, 2010

REVIEW: Della Says OMG! by Keris Stainton

Della’s over the moon when she kisses her long-standing crush at a party – but then she discovers her diary has disappeared...
When scans of embarrassing pages are sent to her mobile and appear on Facebook, Della’s distraught – how can she enjoy her first proper romance when someone, somewhere, knows all her deepest, darkest secrets?


I absolutely adored Della Says OMG! by Keris Stainton. This is another review that makes me nervous to write, because I consider Keris a friend of mine. Friends who've never met, but still friends. And honestly, I'm so proud of her for this book that you'd think I'd written it myself.

And the book really is fabulous. I read it in bed on one of those days where I had an afternoon all to myself. It was the perfect way to spend the day. Della was an absolute joy, I loved being in her head. I could completely relate to her throughout the entire book, when she's agonising over her diary pages being made public, her worries about this new relationship with her long-term crush Dan. I went through so many emotions with Della. From anxiety, embarassment, insecurity, awkwardness. At times, I have to admit, I had to put the book down and breathe. Remind myself that I'm not Della. That these things didn't happen to me. And the whole mystery of who is doing all this completely surprised me.

When Della's diary pages first crop up, my whole face turned red. I was embarassed and mortified for Della. Because Keris really didn't shy away from those uncomfortable topics that aren't really written about or spoken about. And once I got past that initial OMG! moment, I realised that it's a really great thing that's happened. There was a conversation on Twitter about it, comparing this book to that of Forever by Judy Blume where more risque topics are talked about openly. And I can see that comparison. It's a good thing, really.

And besides all that, I loved Dan. He's such a swoon-worthy character and I loved him for being so adorable and awkward and honest with Della. And still, I think I crushed on Della even more. She's just so funny and smart and has this great strength about her. So thank you Keris for this wonderful story with these great characters. The book is hilarious and embarassing and sweet all at the same time.

Della Says OMG is officially released today! Go out now and buy it. You won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I won a copy! Whoo! I am afeared that I will be so embarrassed FOR her that it might be hard to read.

    ReplyDelete

HI! Thank you for leaving a comment, you've just become my new best friend :)