Monday, April 26, 2010

REVIEW: Ash by Malinda Lo

I admit it. I'm a shallow person. I bought Ash by Malinda Lo simply for that gorgeous cover. I sort of knew it was a retelling of Cinderella, but that's really all I knew. (that and a lot of book bloggers read it) If I'd know it was about fairies, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I'm not big into fairy books. I hated Tithe by Holly Black, I lost interest in the Melissa Marr books after Ink Exchange. There's just something about fairies, and I don't know what it is. They annoy me. And while the fairies are the main bit in Ash that makes things different (Ash's 'fairy godmother' is actually Sidhean, a male fairy who will grant wishes but for a steep price) , I didn't mind them. Much. The other main difference in Ash is the new love interest. I really don't want to spoil it for anyone, so if you haven't read Ash and would like to, *look away now.* ...It's a woman.

Ash starts off pretty slowly. You meet Ash and her father, who are both grieving over the death of her Ash's mother. Her father remarries, her step-mother and two step-sisters aren't thrilled with Ash and eventually, Ash's father also dies. Ash acts as a servant to her step-family and reads books of fairy tales that reminds her of a happier time with her parents. Meanwhile, she begins this tenuous friendship with Sidhean, this fairy from the forest. He seems to offer her an escape from the drudgery of servitude and her step-family's obsessive wish to marry the two step-sisters off to wealthy men. And then she meets the Huntress, Kaisa.

I liked Ash, I really did. But there was still something about it that I didn't fully connect with. I think it might be Ash, herself. She seems like a character I should like - she has the strength to put up with her 'wicked' step-mother, she makes her own choices, she's not the type of girl who needs rescuing from the Prince. And yet.

I did love the inclusion of so many fairy tales. And the relationship between Ash and Kaisa. It's always nice to see such an accepted and incredibly sweet same-sex relationship in books. Gay relationships don't always need to be portrayed with such negativity and with all the pressure and weight of it being against the norm.

Ash was a quick fun read on a sunny afternoon. Up next for fairy-tale retellings is Beastly by Alex Finn, and in the near future, Zel by Donna Jo Napoli.

What do you think of fairy tale retellings? Do you have a favourite?

6 comments:

  1. I love fairy tale retellings, but Ash just didn't work for me :\ Like you, I could never truly connect with it. Zel, on the other hand, is excellent! Very dark, but excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How freaky is this! Guess what book I am reading at the moment? Ash! We really do pick such similar books. Sorry to hear it wasn't for you or Nymeth. I shall plod on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like you, I love a good cover and have purchased many a book on cover love alone.

    This is one I have liked the look of too. Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore fairy tale retellings but mostly not ones that include actual, you know, fairies. I tend to find them a bit twee even when they are portrayed as dark and scary. And now that I think about it, I can't think of any really superb retellings of Cinderella. Surely there must be one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would buy this based on the cover, too!

    I loved the story of Cinderella growing up. I was somewhat obsessed and now I have a weird sense of possessiveness over it and can't imagine people "treating" the story badly or something. I don't think that's normal, but it's keeping me from reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny - I'm totally without. No to fairies. And now that you've mentioned it, I can't think of ANY other Cinderella retellings.. but there has to be, right?

    ReplyDelete

HI! Thank you for leaving a comment, you've just become my new best friend :)