Tuesday, November 24, 2009

REVIEW: Heaven Can Wait by Cally Taylor


Shortly after I wrote about Heaven Can Wait by Cally Taylor on my Friday Finds post, I found this book on the New Releases shelf at the library. I was thrilled. I started reading it immediately and found that I couldn't stop. LOVED it. Here's the summary from Amazon again, if you didn't catch it the first time around:

'What would I do without you, Lucy Brown?' he said, and kissed me softly. I held his face in my hands and kissed him back. I felt that life just couldn't get any more perfect. And I was right, it wouldn't. By the end of the next day, I'd be dead. Lucy is about to marry the man of her dreams - kind, handsome, funny Dan - when she breaks her neck the night before their wedding. Unable to accept a lifetime's separation from her soulmate, Lucy decides to become a ghost rather than go to heaven and be parted from Dan.

But it turns out things aren't quite as easy as that. When Lucy discovers that Limbo is a grotty student-style house in North London she's less than thrilled. Especially after meeting her new flatmates: grumpy, cider-swilling EMO-kid Claire; and Brian, a train-spotter with a Thomas the Tank Engine duvet and a big BO problem. But Lucy has a more major problem on her hands - if she wants to become a ghost and be with Dan she has to complete an almost impossible task. How the hell does a girl like Lucy find a girlfriend for the dorkiest man in England? IT geek Archie's only passions are multi-player computer games and his Grandma. But Lucy only has twenty-one days to find him love.

And when she discovers that her so-called friend Anna is determined to make a move on the heart-broken, vulnerable Dan, the pressure is really on...


Honestly, from the description alone, I was desperate to read this book. And that cover is quite pretty. But then there are all these wonderful reviews I'd been reading. And they're all true. This really is a lovely book. I want to be Lucy Brown's best friend, and also Cally Taylor's. This book really has everything. From the very first page I connected with Lucy. I think she's adorable and I was rooting for her to succeed right throughout. I think as the story carries on and we see glimpses of Lucy's relationship with Dan when they were both alive I was won over again by how incredibly sweet and romantic they are with each other.

I loved all of the secondary characters, especially the other Living Dead characters, train-spotter Brian and emo Claire. Geeky Archie is quite fun as well, as is his inappropriate boss. Honestly, I'm trying hard not to turn this review into too much gushiness, but I really did love this book.

Go out and read Heaven Can Wait. It's fun, it's funny, it's romantic.

2 comments:

  1. Now I know that I would love this book. I love this type of story line. I like the idea of her being a ghost and still hanging around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to our review. We just chose HEAVEN CAN WAIT as our Book of the Year at the Chicklitreviews.com Awards 2009: http://chicklitreviews.com/2009/12/19/chicklitreviews-com-award-winners-2009/

    ReplyDelete

HI! Thank you for leaving a comment, you've just become my new best friend :)