Monday, July 06, 2009

REVIEW: What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones











My name is Sophie.

This book is about me.
It tells
the heart-stoppingly riveting story
of my first love.
And also of my second.
And, okay, my third love, too.

It's not that I'm boy crazy.
It's just that even though
I'm almost fifteen
I've been having sort of a hard time
trying to figure out the difference
between love and lust.

It's like
my mind
and my body
and my heart
just don't seem to be able to agree
on anything.

I found this book last week in a charity shop for 40p. I love a bargain. I had some doubts about reading this book, wondering if a book of free verse poems about a teenage girl's quest for love would be my sort of thing? It turns out that this book is exactly my thing.

It was quite sweet really, all the way through. Funny and romantic. Everything about it seemed very genuine from Sophie's voice, her relationship with her friends, the infatuation she has with a series of boys, leading up to the confusion she feels for one particular boy - who I may or may not have fallen in love with just a little bit myself!

It was quite quick to read, but very satisfying! Definately on the look out for other Sonya Sones books, the sequel to this book, What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know and Stop Pretending about how mental illness affects one family.

Have you read this book? What did you think of it? What's the most surprising book you've read recently?

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed that one. I keep meaning to look for more, but keep forgetting. (Story of my life in one sentence!)

    ReplyDelete

HI! Thank you for leaving a comment, you've just become my new best friend :)