Monday, February 04, 2008

Aha!

You Should Be a Doctor

You are practical, sharp, and very intuitive.
Optimistic and energetic, you are a problem solver who doesn't get discouraged easily.
You are also quite compassionate and caring. You make people feel hopeful.
You're highly adaptable and capable. You do well with almost any curve ball life throws at you.

You do best when you:

- Are always learning new subjects
- Use your knowledge to solve problems

You would also be a good therapist or detective.



If only things were this simple, right? I clicked on an arbitrary picture design and apparently I should be a doctor, therapist or detective. Oh well. I've put a lot of thought into this recently. I've never had a great idea about what I want to be when I grow up...
I suppose I am grown-up, and what I am is a wife and a mother. And that's OK for now, I enjoy my life and wouldn't change it for anything. But I need more than that as well. I need to finish my university degree, I need to find myself a career.
In the past I'd juggled the idea of becoming a solicitor, once I wanted to work in a publishing house. Over the last year I've considered a job in a pre-school, or even as a teacher. Nothing seemed to really fit for me. But lately, I've had this idea in the back of my head, and every day that I think about it, it sounds more and more interesting. But I still have all of this self-doubt and a lack of confidence in myself and my abilities.
But that's OK, I've got plenty of time to work it out and make sure that this path is the one I want to choose. For now, here is what I've come up with: A degree in Psychology followed by a postgraduate training course to become a clinical psychologist.
All in all, that will take a total of 9 years to complete if I have to do my degree part-time (which seems most likely) and we can't afford to pay for a degree course until I'm working again, which won't be for another three years at least. So the timeline looks set to be completed in 12 years. I'll be 26 this year. 26+12 .. my math is terrible, 38. Jesus Christ. It all sounds so far away and a little scary still.

I checked out a psychology textbook from the library the other day, and I've been reading it off and on for the past month or so. (It's hardly ideal for bedside-reading!) Everything sounds so interesting and it gets me a little excited thinking about it. I started writing down the chapters that I was most interested in reading about first, and I managed to fill up a whole page in my notebook... eating disorders, conformity, prejudice and discrimination, interpersonal attraction, agressive behavious and the media, sleep and dreaming, problem-solving and decision-making, moral understanding, personality, gender development. Science has always scared me, and now look at me, getting all excited about how the brain works. I do hope psychology lives up to everything I've made it into as I'm waiting patiently for this part of my life to begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment

HI! Thank you for leaving a comment, you've just become my new best friend :)